Thursday 24 July 2014

Following innocently.

After the business of a jam packed Thursday, I sat on the edge of Abigail's bed to tuck her in and say good night.  I asked her about her day and mentioned that Mission to the City is less than a week away now.  It's impossible to describe in words how her eyes got bigger...a smile of anticipation and excitement emerging on her face. 

I forget sometimes that kids don't pay attention to maps and schedules like we adults obsessively do.  She asked me "Where are we going again?"  "Minneapolis", I replied.  "I thought we were going to Minnesota?"  "We are - Minneapolis/St Paul is in Minnesota - It's called the twin cities".  "Ooohhhh - I get it", she smiled.  "Is it a big place?"...she had no idea.

I delighted in her innocence.  She was asking out of curiosity and wonder.  Not because she needed to know.  I thought about how she and I will experience our trip together.  I will be the one driving.  I will be her chaperone, her guide, her source of information when she's confused about what happens next, about what she should take with her to each destination.  I'll even double check that she has packed her toothbrush.  She will rely on me for making sure we're at the right place at the right time.  Our experiences will be different from that perspective.  Kids aren't always thinking ahead like adults need to. 

In a similar way, I thought about how we will rely on our heavenly father for His leading on our trip.  Perhaps not to interpret a map or schedule...but how our interactions with people will need his guidance.  How He will need to set me off in the right frame of mind each day...We'll be serving "under the shadow of His wing" - with Him as our guide...so we can look back...in wonder, excitement and awe at how everything has been taken care of...just like my 9 year old Abigail.

Thanks for joining us on the journey.  See you next time.

Sandy (for Abigail too)

More information on MTTC is available at: http://www.theurbanrefuge.com/mttc/main/about_mttc

No comments:

Post a Comment