Thursday 31 July 2014

Day 2. People watching with a purpose

Today's activities were focused on a neighborhood community event here in Minneapolis called "Party in the Park", hosted by the Minneapolis Park District down the street from our host church.

This morning was spent setting up tents, tables, chairs and the like. Everyone mucked in to once again prove that famous line "Many hands make light work".

Tonight's event drew an estimated 4000 people just out with their families for some fun and fresh air.  Abi and I found ourselves selling tickets for kids activities.... And we were busy.

I don't know about you, but I'm fascinated by people, and at the risk of being nosey, I love to watch how people interact and act at an event like that. There was a huge variety of people, clearly from all walks of life. Some with kids. Some in wheelchairs. Many with bikes. Lots with food. Some frazzled. Many smiling. All there, I would assume, because they wanted to enjoy a beautiful evening out.

As I observed, I was reminded of the verse in Matthew 9.36. When he [Jesus] saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

As already mentioned, I love to people watch, but over time I've learned an important boundary. i.e. not to assume I  know more about a person than I really do.

For example, just because someone looks well dressed, it doesn't mean they're wealthy. Or just because someone seems frazzled with their kid, it doesn't mean they're necessarily a bad parent.

One thing we can be sure of though, is that all people no matter their appearance have a God shaped void that only Jesus can fill through the love and compassion of the saints. It felt meaningful to experience that today.

Sandy (for Abi too)

No comments:

Post a Comment